The NYSIR Risk Management Program is school specific – designed to address the loss exposures unique to school districts and BOCES. NYSIR subscribers receive the following services at no charge:
- Annual Inspections – A risk assessment of the facilities, operations and activities is conducted annually. A report listing practical recommendations for improving Subscriber safety and loss control measures is then generated.
- Special Inspections – Additional visits to evaluate specific areas (e.g. school security, playground equipment, gymnasiums, fire or life safety situations, athletic exposures, theater sets, etc.) are scheduled as requested by Subscribers.
- Risk Management Advisory Services - Subscribers have unlimited access to NYSIR Risk Management Staff to answer questions or conduct research concerning physical hazards, district activities, loss trends, procedures, school security, employment practices, transportation, etc.
- Attendance at Subscriber Safety and Security Committee Meetings – NYSIR Risk Management staff attends and provides technical assistance, training and resource materials for safety committee members.
- Neurocognitive Testing of Student Athletes – Subscribers are able to conduct Neurocognitive Testing of their student athletes in all contact sports. This testing includes baseline testing biannually and post-concussion testing using ImPACT Applications, Inc. program at no cost.
- Risk Transfer Program – Subscribers benefit from our comprehensive Risk Transfer Program which assists in reducing the cost of claims by assisting Subscribers transfer risk through the use of insurance certificates and indemnification language. NYSIR’s Risk Transfer Specialist handles the transactions for use of facility and transportation documents until the certificate process is completed – either in compliance with your specifications or NYSIR’s standard recommendations.
- Continuing Teacher and Leader Education Provider (CTLE) – NYSIR is an approved CTLE Provider by the NYS Education Department. Professional Certificate holders now may earn CTLE hours by attending many of our seminars and completing courses in our online university.
- In-District Training - NYSIR Risk Management staff conducts customized training at Subscribers’ locations. Popular sessions include playground and cafeteria monitor training, custodial training, risk management for administrators and fire and life safety.
- NYSIR Regional Seminars – NYSIR sponsors regional seminars throughout New York State to address current trends and legal issues that create potential loss exposures for public school districts and BOCES.
- Playground Safety
- Athletic Risk Management
- School Security
- Employment Practices Liability
- Social Media Liability
- Science and Lab Safety
- Risk Transfer
- Boiler and Electrical Safety
- Bullying Prevention
- Theatrical Safety
- Student Travel
- Online University – NYSIR’s Online University is hosted by First Net Learning. NYSIR has custom developed online training programs for the following: Bloodborne Pathogens; Dignity for All Students Act (DASA); Discrimination and Harassment; Hazard Communication; Employment Discrimination; Phishing; Playground Supervision; Playground Inspection; Responsible Use of Social Media; Special Education; Building Level Emergency Response Teams; Suicide Prevention and NYSIR’s Head Injury Prevention Program (HIPP). Many of these courses are eligible for CTLE credit. New programs are added regularly.
- NYSIR Webinars – NYSIR hosts Webinars on a variety of topics. Hartford Steam Boiler conducts quarterly Webinars on timely boiler and equipment breakdown topics.
- NYSIR Web Site - Subscribers have access to enhanced risk management, safety materials, presentations, sample forms (waivers and releases, permission slips and insurance requirements) and other programs from the “Subscribers Only” portion of the NYSIR website: www.nysir.org