To provide a comprehensive and cost-effective property and casualty insurance program for New York State public schools that focuses on:
- Superior insurance coverages
- High-quality and cutting-edge risk management programs
- A proactive, subscriber-oriented claims management program that fosters a relationship with schools based on trust and exemplary service, enabling NYSIR to be financially successful and viable in a fluctuating environment
NYSIR will continue to be the premier insurance and risk management provider for public schools in New York State, maintaining financial stability and promoting a true partnership with its subscribers.
When NYSIR was formed in 1989, public schools countrywide suffered greatly because of an insurance crisis. Some New York Districts were denied coverage completely, while most experienced premiums that skyrocketed, doubling or reaching even higher levels. With that crisis in mind, NYSIR’s founding members felt this new company should:
- Provide pricing stability
- Build back lost coverage
- Provide a safe environment for children, staff and the community
- Encourage subscriber input
- Fight false, fraudulent and frivolous claims
After more than 25 years of faithfully living up to our founding principles, NYSIR is the premier insurer of public schools in New York State.